Wednesday, March 26, 2008


I haven't been able to blog for some time now. My dad died in January after a slow and long march downward into Alzheimer oblivion. I spent a portion of the fall and winter helping my sister and brother-in-law, Sandra and Larry, care-give at their cottage in Baja MX. Flying back and forth from Abu Dhabi to San Diego and then driving down the Baja coast to Bunta Banda was arduous but not nearly so as watching my Dad's demise. We set up a memorial blog for him if anyone is interested - wallacebelin.blogspot.com .    . . . Well, now, I need to kick myself in the butt and move on.

Back in Abu Dhabi, the newness of being here has worn off but my interest in this fascinating part of the world has not. Building all over the UAE continues at a break-neck speed. Bob and I (with my head and limbs covered modestly) visited the new Grand Mosque now in it's final stages of completion. It will be the second largest mosque in the world - politically correct in that it can't supersede the one at Mecca. It is most amazing and I couldn't stop taking pictures. The whiteness in the courtyard is blinding in the noonday sun but it takes on a surreal look at dusk and at night it is magical. The detail and opulence in the grand interior humbled anyone who stepped inside. Bob and I are thankful that the government is allowing non-muslim visitors. It may never be possible for us westerners to see inside Mecca but this is a wonderful consolation gift.  


No comments: