Friday, August 31, 2007


Cocooning. That's what I'm unabashedly doing and loving it. I'll be nestled in until after Ramadan ends in mid-October and the cooler weather starts. I'm connected to the universe through the internet and phone. I make one foray out most evenings when the thermometer edges below 40 degrees (104 fahrenheit) to the golf course practice range where I plan to surprise Bob with my new found skills in the sport. He'll be back in Abu Dhabi September 10th so I haven't much time. The caddy saw my name on my golf bag, recognized the surname, and said, Oh, Mr. Robert . . .single handicapper." "yeah," I said "I plan to get there too." He shook his head and replied, "It'll take a long time, Mrs. Burley"
My 20 year old daughter, finished with her summer academic program in Bejing, has still been traveling by herself in southwestern China. When I don't get an email, typical mom that I am, I imagine the worst, "kidnapped and held as a sex slave." To my immense relief, I did get a response just the other day. She had picked up two other single travelers, both Chinese, and was headed for Shangrila. She's been forced to use and improve her language skills traveling solo and, then, with two Chinese speakers. She'll soon be back at Evergreen State in Washington for the fall quarter.
Chris, my 19 year old son, has driven back from his summer job in Baja, Mexico to UAT in Tempe, Arizona. I think he took a long detour to visit a friend in Northern California. His emails are like diamonds, rare, small and valuable. I try to glean information out of 2-3 words. The fact that he can navigate from Mexico (and get across the border with his long hair), pick up his stuff from storage, move into his dorm, and sign up for classes by his own cognizance says something. Being overseas forces you not to be a 'helicopter' mom.
Speaking of cocooning I have a new and improved diagram of Hilton Baynuna Towers, where I live. If they could only have putting, pitching and a driving range on the roof, I wouldn't have to leave the building. I am sooo bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NEED to update

kara